The research interests of the faculty of the Institute of Intercultural Studies cover all manifestations of cultural diversity, ethnic relations in the modern world, minority and majority group relations, cultural dialogue and intercultural communication, multicultural policy, migration, social integration, and globalization processes.
The subjects of our research are the cultural traditions of various social groups, popular culture and tourism, civil society and the political scene, educational institutions, and the sphere of the economy.
The interdisciplinary character of the faculty allows us to capture all problems from the perspective of the sciences of culture, anthropology, sociology, political science, history, art sciences, religion, or psychology. Using these perspectives, we conduct our research in various countries, including Brazil, Italy, Iran, Japan, the Philippines, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Sudan, Ukraine, the United States, and Poland.
Please view our ISM employee profiles to learn the specific research interests of each employee.
Recently, researchers affiliated with the institute have won several outside financial grants for the following studies
- “Cooperation of Universities and Non-Governmental Organizations as Animators of Civil Society Using the Potential of Cultural Heritage”
- “Bridges Of Hope: Cultural Heritage of Krakow as an Animation of Intercultural Dialogue During World Youth Day 2016”
- “Revision of the Swedish Integration Policy towards Immigrants in the Context of the Migration Crisis after 2010”
- “Leadership and Testimony: Analysis of Biographical Elements in the Narrative of Guides in the Context of Interpretation of the Difficult Heritage of the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone”
- “The Legitimacy of Power and Its Activities in the Republic of the Philippines during the Presidency of Rodrigo Duterte”
The results of the faculty’s research are published, among others, in the bilingual journal Relacje Międzykulturowe – Intercultural Relations. Click here to learn more about it.
Click here to learn more about the conferences and events organized by the institute.